skip to primary navigation skip to content
 

 

You are not currently logged in

Museum catalogue: Scrimshaw Collection

 

Scrimshaw

Image

More (all) images of this article below

Accession no.: Y: 62/15/16
Object name: Scrimshaw
Title: Scrimshaw
Description: Tooth 191 mm, monochrome, with British Naval ships faintly inscribed "The Lion" and reverse: "The Saucy Arathusa" (sic) and probably scrimshawed in the late 1840's or the 1850's.
Classified name:
[Unknown system] 730.235 & 639.245.1
Number of items: 1
Full description:

16A.: H.M.S. Lion shown here, hove-to, main topsail to the mast, had a long life. She was launched in 1847, converted to a screw steamer in 1859 and not sold until 1905.

16B.: H.M.S. Arethusa shown here was the frigate of 50 guns, launched in 1849, and also long lived. She was converted to a screw frigate in 1860 and from 1873 to 1932 was a training ship for destitute and orphaned boys. She was much later than the "saucy Arethusa" of the song.

Dimensions:
  • Height: 191mm
All images for this article: Image Image