skip to primary navigation skip to content
 

 

You are not currently logged in

Museum catalogue: Scrimshaw Collection

 

Scrimshaw

Image

More (all) images of this article below

Accession no.: Y: 62/15/1
Object name: Scrimshaw
Title: Scrimshaw
Description: Tooth 216 mm, monochrome, mounted, with exceptionally fine and detailed engravings on both sides. Bombardment of Algiers; reverse: three ships in convoy.
Classified name:
[Unknown system] 730.235 & 639.245.1
Number of items: 1
Full description:

1A.: This represents the bombardment of Algiers, a fortified town on a hill and a notorious stronghold of Barbary Corsairs: North African pirates who operated a Christian slave-market there. In 1816, an Anglo-Dutch fleet secured the release of 1.200 Christian slaves. A variety of war ships and boats are depicted and shells/rockets are exploding in the air.

1B.: Three, early 19C. ships in convoy under shortened sail. The first is a British naval ship escorting the convoy. The second has a pennant inscribed "GOVR [GOVERNOR] HALKETT". She was captured from the Spanish in 1803 and from 1805 was used in the West Indies trade. In 1832 she was fitted out for whaling before joining the Colonial fleet operating from Sydney, Australia. She returned to England in 1842.

Dimensions:
  • Height: 216mm
All images for this article: Image Image