HMS Carnarvon Castle 1943
The 'Carnavon Castle' was originally built as a passenger ship but, at the outbreak of war in 1939, she was converted to an Armed Merchant Cruiser and was stationed in the South Atlantic. In 1942, under the command of Edward Kitson, she was despatched to the South Shetland Islands off the Antarctic Peninsular, arriving at Deception Island in January 1943. Here a group of sailors were sent ashore to remove all marks of sovereignty left on the island by Argentinians from the vessel 'Primero de Mayo' the previous year. With this successfully completed the ship then sailed to the South Orkneys, hoisting a British flag on Signy Island and inspecting an Argentine meteorological station on Laurie Island.